Thursday 21 June 2018

Leeuwarden 3

On Saturday 3 June 2017 I travelled to the north of the country. I had an appointment in Leeuwarden, the capital of the province of Friesland (Fryslân). It was the first time in my life that I set foot in Friesland. From my village it is almost 3,5 hours by tram and train so I left early. The AKO book store in the station was also a post office so I got my datestamp almost upon arrival. As stamps I used the Leeuwarden stamp form the series Mooi Nederland (Beautiful Netherlands) from 2010 and the flag of the province of Friesland from 2002. A pair of matching stamps.

Leeuwarden is a city and municipality in Friesland in the Netherlands. It is the provincial capital and seat of the States of Friesland. The region has been continuously inhabited since the 10th century. It came to be known as Leeuwarden in the early 9th century and was granted city privileges in 1435. It is the main economic hub of Friesland, situated in a green and water-rich environment. Leeuwarden is a former royal residence and has a historic city center, many historically relevant buildings, and a large shopping center with squares and restaurants. Leeuwarden was awarded the title European Capital of Culture for 2018. The Elfstedentocht (Eleven Cities Tour), an ice skating tour passing the eleven cities of Friesland, started and finished in Leeuwarden.

City/town:       Leeuwarden
Municipality:   Leeuwarden
Area:              166,99 km² (Leeuwarden mun.)
Population:    108.583 (Leeuwarden mun., August 2017)
Website:         leeuwarden.nl

Post office
AKO Leeuwarden
Stationsplein 2 D
8911 AC  LEEUWARDEN

Date sent: 3 June 2017
Date postmark: 3 June 2017
Date received: 6 June 2017
Number of days: 3
Envelope in collection: 140





No comments:

Post a Comment